Blind Spot - a documentary film on peak oil and sustainability
Information about this documentary is presented on this website for informational purposes. Prof. Bartlett is interviewed in the movie, but is not associated with its production or distribution.
Directed By: Adolfo Doring
Release Date: September 26, 2008
Running Time: 1:28
"Official Selection", Woodstock Film Festival 2008
"Official Selection", London Independent Film Festival 2008
Blind Spot is a documentary that illustrates the current energy crisis that our way of life is facing. Whatever the measures of greed, wishful thinking, neglect or ignorance, we have put ourselves at a crossroad which offers two paths, both with dire consequences. If we continue to burn fossil fuels we will choke the life out of the planet and if we don't our way of life will collapse.
Prof. Al Bartlett is interviewed in this documentary. Watch the Bartlett interview. (Interview segment reproduced with permission of the producer.)
Cast / Interviews
- Physicist: Albert Bartlett; Author: Getting Malthus Right
- Sociologist: William R Catton; Book: OVERSHOOT
- Activist/Writer: Derrick Jensen; Books: A Language Older than Words, The Culture of Make Believe, Endgame
- Evolutionary Biologist: Jason Bradford; Founder of Willits Economic Localization
- Economist: Max Fraad Wolff
- Historian: Joseph Tainter; Book: The Collapse of Complex Societies
- Agriculturalist: David Pimentel
- Politician / Scientist: Rep. Roscoe Bartlett; AIAA award recipient. 7 term Republican representative for the state of Maryland.
- Professor / Author: Richard Heinberg; Books: The Party's Over, POWERDOWN, The Oil Depletion Protocol, PEAK EVERYTHING
- Lawyer: Matt Savinar
- Environmental Analyst: Lester Brown; Book: Plan B 2.0
- Petroleum Geologist: Kenneth Deffeyes; Book: The View from Hubbert's Peak
- Psychologist: Elke Weber
- NASA: James Hansen; Head of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
- Author: Terry Tamminen; Former head of the California EPA. Book: Lives Per Gallon
- Activist: Mary Ann Hitt
- Author: Bill McKibben; Books: The End of Nature, The Age of Missing Information, Deep Economy
- Author: David Korten; When Corporations Rule the World
- Executive Director NY SunWorks, Environmental Engineer: Ted Caplow Phd.
The movie Blind Spot can be purchased at Film Baby for $16.00 US.
See more information, excerpts and trailers at the official website: BlindSpotDoc.com.
"Blind Spot is a fascinating documentary, it draws on some of the most impressive scientific minds to warn us about the dangers of our dependence on oil and educate us about our role in saving the earth and the lives of our children. I was transfixed by it."
"If we lived in a rational world, inhabited by rational human beings, viewing Blind Spot would be a mandatory prerequisite to taking any federal oath of office in the coming year. Were that to happen, there might be hope that the USA would resume world leadership and our renewed influence would be used to redirect ourselves and the world away from the unsustainable path upon which we plummeted along throughout the 20th century, mistakenly regarding the adventure as unmitigated progress."
-William R. Catton, author of 'OVERSHOOT'
"Blind Spot rides currents of beauty and sadness, ultimately landing with a catharsis that comes when truth has been told."
-Jason Bradford, founder of 'Willits Economic Localization'
"Doubtless Peak Oil will come, the timing is a matter of debate. However we may be better off if it is not too long delayed, because it will accelerate what must be done to prevent environmental catastrophe."
"Beautiful, crucial, straightforward, brilliantly woven images, words and music."
-John Stauber, author of 'Toxic Sludge Is Good For You'
"The world is saying look you have a choice, you can either fix it or I can fix it, and if I fix it you are not going to like it because I'm going to throw everything away. And everything means most of us."
-Derrick Jensen, author of 'ENDGAME'
"The next few decades aren't going to look like the last few - not at all. And the sooner we come to terms with that, the better. This documentary is a good place to start."
-Bill McKibben, author of 'The End of Nature'